Friday, June 15, 2012

Feeding Owen

These picture were taken a couple of weeks ago.  But I would say there will be a lot more feeding Owen pictures to come...I am going to tell the story of last week.  This is not for the faint of heart. 

Last Monday I decided to take Owen to the doctor because his eye looked red around the outside and he had some eye boogers going on.  I took him in and turns out he had a clogged tear duct.  This was easily cured with some massaging of the eye area and some antibiotics.  By Monday night I was not feeling so hot.  I figured I was just tired.  I told my mom at dinner that I was feeling sick tired, a term we use often in our family when we are just plain exhausted and sleep is the only thing that will cure it.  So I went home and I went to bed.  The next morning I woke up with a fever and chills and severe breast pain.  I either had mastitis or the flu was attacking my boob which seemed less likely.  So I get my mom to watch the kiddos for a second day in a row and I take myself this time to the doctor and sure enough it was mastitis and I got myself some antibiotics.  Tuesday night we are sitting around the dinner table and I notice that Adam's eye is looking pink.  He says he bumped it on his bed, but that is not what it looked like to me, it looked like PINK EYE!  anyway we put the kids to bed and 2 hours later Kevin comes down complaining his ear is hurting.  I am sick and tired so I head to bed and Bryan stays up countless hours distracting Kevin until he finally falls asleep around midnight.  Next morning Bryan decided to stay home because I am sick and it looks like Adam and Kevin need to go to the doctor for their ailments so Bryan takes them to the doctor and sure enough we have one ear infection and one case of pink eye...This on it's own would make for a kind of funny story to laugh about LATER.  Now we had 4 out of 6 family members on antibiotics.  Thursday I called and cancelled Owen's 2 month appointment because I didn't want to go the doctor any more that week.  By Thursday night I realized I was not getting better.  The antibiotics should have been working by now for my mastitis but it was only getting worse.  Friday morning I called to leave a message for my doctor who said just come in.  So Friday it was back to the doctor for me again, luckily Bryan was home on his RDO so I just went on my own, thank goodness.  I made sure my dad was on tap to pick up Kevin from school in case my appointment took way too long because we had sold the Durango the day before so we only have one car and one motorcycle.  Well when I got to the doctor it was a whirlwind of crazy and within minutes they had a doctor, nurse, and a breast surgeon all checking me out.  I was then rushed over to the hospital as they decided that either needed surgery to remove the infection or IV antibiotics for a few days.  Thankfully, it turned out I just needed IV antibiotics so I was in the Hospital until Sunday.  While in the hospital my doctor and the breast surgeon agreed no more breastfeeding for this Mama.  So starting Saturday night I began the process of drying up my milk.  I figured it was best to do it while on the antibiotics so that hopefully I wouldn't have any more problems along those lines caused from quitting cold turkey.  So now one week later from my being admitted into the hospital, I am doing pretty well.  Everyone is through their antibiotics except for me and I am almost breast milk free...I think.  Owen does not mind the formula at all.  The boys love that they get to help feed him more often.  And honestly I love that pretty soon I will not have breast pain for the first time in months.  So there it is, probably the craziest week I have ever had. I am so glad it was last week and now it is over.

Here is Adam feeding Owen this week

 And really does this look like the face of a baby boy that is suffering, nope.  He is thriving and we are so excited to have everyone well in the house again!!

1 comment:

Arianne said...

Oh man, when it rains it pours! I'm so sorry the mastitis was so horrible! Anyways, your boys are SOOOO cute, and I hope Colin is just half as cute as them......